2007-04-28

MIЯROR, MIЯROR on the wall...

Few the past few weeks since its release, I have been enamored with DéspairsRay's new album, MIRROR. It is fresh and new: it is fantastic. MIRROR is more...upbeat? MIRROR seems to be brighter as a whole than the DéspairsRay that I'm used to; however, that brightness holds dark shadows. MIRROR, to me, hides pain and suffering beneath the glass.

DAMNED is a great opener. It draws the listener to the album and that listener will almost certainly find it hard to leave. TRICKSTƏR starts off next and reminds me of some ol' school +DéspairsRay+ but quickly it turns into a combination of the classic and new DéspairsRay. The next track, MIЯROR, might just be my favorite. I start with this track so much that my iPod basically knows and almost moves to it without my fingers. SIXty∞NINe is next (and the last of the funkified character containing titles) and Tsukasa and Zero really shine. I cannot wait to see them live again, as I am sure this song will be stellar. It really is a shame I can't make it to J-Rock Revolution.

From 凍える夜に咲いた花 (I've always been a fan of this song) on, the album just makes for a great listening experience. The new mix of SCREEN is superb. I love it. A new favorite of mine, for sure. Lost Scene kind of disappears for me between SCREEN and Hollow, the later of which is awesome. Closer to Ideal is next and I still enjoy it, but I think it will be more fun live. Angeldust has a nice lil' intro and then breaks into some hardcore and classic DéspairsRay with a touch of evolution (I wish my Pokémon would evolve into beings this enjoyable...yes, I'm talking about you Starly). Squall rolls up next and makes me wish that DéspairsRay would get their asses back to NYC and play. I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL I GET BACK TO JAPAN! Kaleidoscope closes out the album and its something different from Hizumi, Zero, Tsukasa, and Karyu.

I cannot tell you how many times I've played this album all the way through. It has become my album of choice while riding on the subway. It took me 1hour and 45minutes to get from 18th Street to Fulton Street on the 1-2-3 the other night, so that added a couple more spins to the list. DéspairsRay have come a long way, and I know several people are disappointed with the bands path since Coll:set, but I, for one, am finding myself listening to them more and more.


DéspairsRay FTW
Karyu, Tsukasa, Hizumi, Zero


minagoroshi //37564。

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice and informative. :] I certainly need to look into this album more...I've only heard a few songs. (of course, what I've heard, I've loved!)